Lutins & Pilgreen, PC
Roanoke Family Law And Criminal Defense
Super Lawyers
Million Dollar Advocates Forum
Super Lawyers
Million Dollar Advocates Forum
Intelligent And Aggressive Representation

How can I stay close to my child as a noncustodial parent?

On Behalf of | Jan 7, 2022 | Child Custody

Losing physical custody of a child can be hard. Maybe the circumstances were not in your favor, and now you are worried that you’ll miss a big part of your child’s life because of a mistake you made in the past. If this is happening to you, you must know that there are some ways in which you can keep involved in your child’s life as a noncustodial parent. Besides, you have the possibility of changing the order in the future if your circumstances improve.

Keeping in touch

You did not get physical custody, but you still have legal custody and the right to make important decisions about your child’s upbringing. You also have the right to see your child and spend quality time with them. To make the most out of the custody arrangement, you must respect the visitation schedule as much as possible. Don’t be late or skip visitation time. Also, show up to all of your child’s important events, and talk to them if you cannot attend one day.

It has been proven that the involvement of the noncustodial parent in school matters is crucial for the child’s wellbeing as well. Because of this, it would be beneficial if you are in constant communication with your child’s school. As a parent with legal custody, you also have the right to access your child’s school documents. Make sure to request these documents from time to time to see your child’s progress.

Modifying the order

You must also know that a custody order is not set in stone. You can change it in the future if your circumstances improve. By requesting a custody modification, you may be able to get physical custody of your child later on.

Your right as a parent

Parenthood does not end with divorce. Even if you did not get physical custody of your child, you have the right to stay involved in their lives and participate in their upbringing. You can also ask the court to modify the order and get physical custody of your child if your circumstances change for the better. You have rights as a parent, and you can fight for them in court.

FindLaw Network
Attorney Harvey S Lutins