Uncontested Divorce And Separation Agreements
Divorce does not have to be a difficult process in Virginia. However, it does require a certain amount of patience and planning. Couples are required to live separately for a period of time before their divorce becomes final. That period is one year if you have children and six months if you do not.
At Lutins & Pilgreen, PC, in Roanoke, Virginia, our lawyers offer a initial consultation to discuss the Virginia divorce process. We also draft separation agreements to protect your interests during your separation.
Why Do I Need A Separation Agreement?
Even if you and your spouse plan to get an uncontested divorce, it’s wise to consult an attorney sooner rather than later. Verbal agreements between you and your spouse are not enforceable. If you draft an agreement on your own, you could make a mistake that is costly to correct later.
Our lawyers can help you spell out issues such as:
- How marital assets and debts should be divided
- Which assets and debts are marital and which are separate
- Who should make house payments and car payments during your separation
- Whether you or your spouse should receive maintenance payments during your separation
- If you have children, where they will live and how much visitation the other parent should have
Our lawyers provide divorce planning services to help you resolve all issues in your divorce now, while communication lines are open. Your separation agreement can protect you if you and your spouse have a dispute later.